Tuesday 7 June 2011

THESE CHANGING TIMES


This is Patsy Wynne inviting you to share the next hour with me... bringing you Good Vibrations...
#          Good Vibrations... The Beach Boys
HELLO to whoever’s listening in hospital... and to those who may be listening online... WELCOME to you too!  Today I’m thinking about these CHANGING TIMES... and I’ll be contributing my thoughts on that... in between the records... which I hope will make you smile... as you recall your own memories... or maybe give you food for thought... because... the times, they are a-changing...
#1        The times they are a-changing... Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan turned 70 last week... he’s only a little younger than me... and times have certainly changed since that song came out in 1963. For one thing there are a lot more people in the world... and with practically everyone running a car... which was unusual 70 years ago... making the roads so busy... the way we live now is very different to the way we lived when I was young.  Have you noticed how things go around in cycles? After years of our throw-away culture... we’re now exhorted to re-cycle!  Guess what?   When I was young... we always left empty milk bottles on the doorstep to be recycled! We kept every bit of string and brown paper from parcels... to re-use... we composted all vegetable peelings... and during the war... all food waste was collected to be fed to pigs!  Any rubbish was burned on the open fire to help keep us warm... and because we didn’t have much... we wasted nothing! Many of us have never got out of that habit.... don't beleive me?... ask your grandma...
#2        Yesterday... Beatles
There’s nothing wrong with reminiscing... because we usually remember the past through the proverbial rose-coloured glasses. But are you in the habit of referring to the past as though nothing good has happened since you were young? 
#3        Memories are made of this... Dean Martin
Of course... most change happens slowly... it imperceptibly creeps up on us... without us noticing... so that we accept it as normal. 
#4        It was a very good year... Sinatra     
When I think about the changes in communication... from when a telephone in the house was uncommon among my friends... I’m amazed at the technology we now take for granted... and  I’m so grateful for the many ways I can keep in touch with my friends and family... not only through the telephone... but also my mobile phone... and laptop computer... I talk to my sister on Messenger and with the benefit of Skype... I could talk to my son when he was in VietNam. Now we can see what’s happening anywhere in the world...often as it happens... we can’t just dismiss the rest of the world as nothing to do with us any more...
#5        The Best is Yet to Come... Mel Torme
The whole vibration of the world seems to be speeding up... and for us oldies... it takes a bit of keeping up.  But I like to think that this vibration is making the human race... more aware than we ever were... and because of this... we’re learning to be more tolerant of those who we used to think of as ‘different’... and it’s about time too... I believe the human race is now waking up... to the change we really need... to make the world a better place...
#6        Turn, Turn, Turn... The Byrds
This is Patsy’s Good Vibrations on Radio Glan Clwyd... and don’t forget that we always welcome your requests for a particular record, or a mention of someone or something special... and if you have an interesting or funny story to tell, connected to a special song... we’d love to hear from you.   You can contact Radio Glan Clwyd by phone on 01745-584229... or, if you’re here in hospital, on Extension 4360... or ask one of the volunteers going around the wards. You can also listen online at... www.rygc.co.uk
#7        We’re Gonna Change the World... Matt Monro
Some change we’re ok about... but of course there’s other change that takes us by surprise... like an unexpected illness... or an accident... even sudden death.  These things are not so easy to cope with.
When I’m worried and anxious about changes in my life... maybe things are happening too fast... or I don’t feel in control... I use a technique known as EFT... that’s based on acupuncture points... but without needles... which helps reduce any conflicts in the mind... and any negative emotion... because just doing the tapping helps balance the emotional energy systems of the body.  If you’d like to follow along with me...
  • First identify what you’re feeling... where do you feel it?...  In your mind... when your mind just goes round in circles... and maybe in your heart... where you feel a heaviness... and disquiet... or physically in your body... like a sick feeling or butterflies in the stomach... or a feeling of restlessness... when you can’t relax... tapping feet or fidgeting hands...
  • Start tapping the (Karate Chop Point) outer edge of one hand below the little finger... with the fingertips of the other hand... taking a few deep breaths... while focussing on what you’re feeling...
  • Take a deep breath ... then say out loud...
  •  Even though I’m feeling... anxious... worried sick...  
  • I completely love and accept myself anyway...
  • Even though I’m feeling ... anxious... sad... sick...uncomfortable... (whatever it may be)
  • I accept that whatever it is... this too will pass...
  • Even though this feeling keeps bothering me...
  • I forgive myself for letting this feeling get to me... I’m doing the best I can...
  • WRISTS... inside wrists together... I accept this feeling of...
  • Back of hand, below the 3rd ring finger... I accept this feeling of...
  • TOP OF HEAD... this anxious feeling... why not just let it go...
  • Chest... (take a long deep breath)... I can decide to accept my life... just as it is... I can choose to appreciate all the good things in my life... and focus on all that I love... and those who love me... I fill my heart with all that love... until it overflows into all the cells of my body... and makes my whole body feel good...
  • Keep breathing while you’re tapping your chest... until you feel loving energy moving through your body... and give thanks for this energy...
There’s more to it than this of course... and you may need help... because when you start a dialogue with yourself... it can lead to new a understanding... about yourself and your life.  It may seem strange at first... to say that you accept how bad you feel... but just think about it... when you try to ignore your feelings... when you repress your anxiety... and hope it will go away... does it?  Well... NO!  It just gets worse... keeps churning away inside... Right?
When you do this simple exercise regularly... when you wake up and go to the bathroom... while taking a shower... waiting for the kettle to boil... or when you find yourself staring into space... those feelings begin to dissolve... you begin to feel easier...  and the more you do this, the better you feel about yourself and the easier it is to accept, love and forgive yourself... and others... just try it and see...
#8        All the Time in the World... Louis Armstrong
You may have heard this saying... the past is history... the future’s a mystery... right NOW is a gift... and that’s why we call it the present.  When we stop living in the past... or constantly worry about what might happen in the future... when we attend to what’s going on IN THE MOMENT... suddenly... we can really enjoy whatever we’re doing... when we’re eating a meal... take the time to appreciate it... or when you’re talking to a child... get into how a child relates and be honest with them... and especially with your nearest and dearest... actually BE WITH THEM when you’re with them... (and realise that even though your body is there... how often your mind and heart is hardly there at all...)
#9        Shine on you Crazy Diamond... Pink Floyd
(FADE>>> talk over... )
Whenever you’re feeling disturbed... or restless... give yourself a break.  Now and then... take a walk in nature... somewhere quiet... by yourself... if you can... or go somewhere beautiful... in your mind... maybe some special memory... of a place where you feel safe... at peace with yourself... breathe deeply... slowing down each breath... relaxing into yourself... from the soles of your feet... all the way up through the muscles of your body... to the top of your head... noticing whatever you see... or hear... anything you sense... without any judgement... slowing down the mind... all those thoughts whirling around in your mind... just let them float way... like little puffs of smoke... slowing down... BEING... in this moment... relaxing the body... breathing slow and easy... just BEING... with yourself... and notice how that feels... with a peaceful mind... and love in your heart...
Did you relax? Did that feel good?  Well that’s alright now...
#10      All Right Now... Free  
When you remember to count your blessings... you’ll be able to deal with any change... and let your loved ones know how much you appreciate them... because even though you feel they take your love for granted... or you think they’re oblivious to your feelings... how will they really know if you don’t tell them?  And give them HUGS... often... to show your feelings! 
#11      For Once in My Life... Stevie Wonder
The world is changing... whether we like it or not... and we must change with it to survive.  So right here... right now... decide to FOCUS on all the positive things in your life... no matter how bad it might seem.  You need a lot more good feelings to counteract the negative emotions that threaten to overwhelm. Look around and see what or who makes you feel good... and feel the love well up in your heart... let the love flow... and make a change in your energy  vibration...
#12      These are the Days of Our Life... Queen
We love to hear from you... just to let us know how you enjoy these programs... brought to you by volunteers... who hope to bring you some relaxation and pleasure while you’re here in Glan Clwyd.
I’d like to thank you all for accompanying me on this journey today and I trust you’ve enjoyed my take on Life, the Universe and Everything... which I hope will help with the changes in your life... and this is Patsy Wynne signing off for today... from Radio Glan Clwyd...  and remember... Always look on the bright side...
#13    Always look on the Bright side of Life... Monty Python

1 comment:

Catherine Woods said...

Lovely script, segueing beautifully into each of your musical selections! Thanks.