Tuesday 12 July 2011

WHAT is MAGIC?




Welcome to Patsy’s Good Vibrations...
#          Good Vibrations...
This is Patsy Wynne inviting you to share the next hour with me... enjoying my choice of music... which sometimes surprises me... and always delights... HELLO to whoever’s listening in hospital... and to those who may be listening online... WELCOME to you too!
I'd like to ntroduce Sarah... who's a new presenter on Radio Glan Clwyd... Hello Sarah...
#1        Harry Potter theme... John Williams 
The new Harry Potter film comes out on Friday at our local cinema...which is showing the previous 7 movies over 7 days, starting last Friday and I'm getting to see them all again in sequence. I do realise that over the past 10 years my sight was deteriorating, so I really am seeing them afresh, but I'm delighted at how much I'm enjoying them. J K Rowling is such an imaginative writer... drawing on many sources... from myths and legends... and fairy stories.
#2        It’s Magic... Keeley Smith
What is MAGIC... what does it mean to you?  Is it just fantasy... or does it have some real meaning?
#3        Strange Magic... E.L.O.
Do you know The Secret? Are you aware of the Law Of Attraction?  We attract what’s on our mind... it’s what we habitually say to ourselves... like... “Oh you’re so stupid”... “Are you crazy or what?”... “You’re going to blow it.”  And surprise, surprise... it happens... it’s a self-fulfilling prophesy.  What do you say?
But imagine how your life would be if you changed your tune... if you started to say to yourself... (like Muhammed Ali, the boxer who used to be Cassius Clay) “I am the greatest... I float like a butterfly, sting like a bee” ... and if you were to constantly tell yourself... “I achieve anything I set my mind to” ...  that’s how you do magic...
#4        Magic Moments... Ronnie Hilton
Imagination is so powerful... and greatly underrated by most people. Children especially have great imagination... and it’s a terrible thing for anyone to ridicule a child for their ‘stories’ or even worse... tell them they’re lying.  Because Imagination is a gift... and there are better ways of channelling a child’s stories... into writing... drawing and painting... as a way of expressing themselves. I think the best thing parents can do for their children is to read them bedtime stories... because its through stories that we begin to make sense of the world and anyone can read stories. I know my children value that time we had together... although I didn't make up stories for them... which is the gift of imagination...
#5        Imagine... John Lennon
Don’t forget that we always welcome your requests for a particular record, or a mention of someone or something special... and if you have an interesting or funny story to tell, connected to a special song... we’d love to hear from you.   You can contact Radio Glan Clwyd by phone on 01745-584229... or, if you’re here in hospital, on Extension 4360 or, or ask one of the volunteers, the young ladies in blue going around the wards. You can also listen online at... www.rygc.co.uk
#6        That Old Black Magic... Sinatra
I really like the way J K Rowling incorporates psychological concepts into her stories... the young wizards are taught ‘spells’ to protect themselves... which are real techniques used by therapists to change one’s perception. For example... they learn how to change their FEAR into something RIDICULUS... and you can do that.  As an example... think of some small fear... and as you start to feel it... get a picture of something to represent it. Maybe you see something like a spider... or a person... whatever it is... see it clearly as if you’re looking at a TV screen... and NOW... turn it into something comical... maybe a cartoon or Disney character... and as you watch it change... notice how your feeling about it changes...
Dragon at Glastonbury
#7        Puff The Magic Dragon... Peter, Paul & Mary 
I use techniques with clients that would no doubt have had me burned as a witch a few hundred years ago.  And one technique that works like magic is EFT... Emotional Freedom Techniques. This involves tapping on acupuncture points... that helps reduce any emotional state... such as sadness... anxiety... fear... and even pain... because it gets you to focus your attention on the part of the body where you feel it.. which we don’t always notice. Just doing the tapping helps balance the emotional energy systems of the body... so if you’d like to follow along with me...
  • First identify what you’re feeling... maybe some fear or anxiety... especially when you’re in hospital... away from home. So just notice where you feel it... in your body...
  • Maybe it’s giving you a headache... a sore throat... an uneasy feeling in your chest... or a sick feeling in your stomach... whatever it is...
  • Start tapping the Karate Chop Point... the outer edge of one hand below the little finger... with the fingertips of the other hand... taking a few deep breaths... while you focus on what you’re feeling...
  • Take a deep breath ... then say out loud... if you can...
  •  Even though I’m feeling... disturbed... 
  • I completely love and accept myself anyway...
  • Even though I’m feeling ... sick to my stomach...  
  • I accept this feeling... it will pass
  • Even though I have this feeling... I’m doing the best I can...
  • I forgive myself... for anything I might have done to contribute to this...
  • WRISTS... inside wrists together... I accept this feeling of...
  • Back of hand, below the 3rd ring finger... I accept this feeling of...
  • TOP OF HEAD... this feeling... why not just let it go...
  • Collarbone... Chest... (take a long deep breath)... I can decide to take responsibility for my feelings... accept my life... just as it is... I can choose to appreciate all the good things in my life... and focus on all that I love... and those who love me... I fill my heart with all that love... until it overflows into all the cells of my body... and makes my whole body feel good...
  • Keep breathing while you’re tapping your chest... until you feel loving energy moving through your body... and give thanks for this energy...
·         There’s more to it than this of course... and you may need help... because when you start a dialogue with yourself... it can lead to new a understanding... about yourself and your life.  It may seem strange at first... to say that you accept how bad you feel... but just think about it... when you try to ignore your feelings... when you repress your anxiety... and hope it will go away... does it?  Well... NO!  It just gets worse... keeps churning away inside... Right?   
·         When you do this simple exercise regularly... you begin to feel easier...  and the more you do this, the better you feel about yourself and the easier it is to accept, love and forgive yourself... and others... just try it and see...
Now a great ‘spell’ Harry Potter learns is to protect him from evil forces... the PATRONUS.  So by projecting his most happy memory... so strongly that the FEELING generates a protective force field... to keep any negative energy harming him.  Anyone can learn to do that for themselves...  so just relax... if you can... and follow along...
#8        Any Other Name... (from American beauty) Thomas Newman CD#3
(FADE>>> talk over... )
·         Whenever you’re feeling anxious... or fearful... you can use the Patronus spell for yourself... or others. Just relax...   somewhere quiet... by yourself... and breathe deeply... slowing down each breath... relaxing into yourself... slow and easy... relaxing deeper... into yourself... and when you’re ready... take your mind to some special memory... something that makes you feel so good... and so happy... even though it may have been something long past... you still get that special feeling... just remembering... and your heart fills... with that warm fuzzy feeling of joy and love... and as you feel that special love... let that feeling fill your heart and overflow... expanding out into all the cells of your body... until your whole body fills with love and light... radiating out all around you... protecting you from any negative influences... harmful energy... feel yourself wholly protected...
How was that? I bet you didn’t know you could do that, did you? Can it be magic?
#9        Can it Be Magic... Barry Manilow
 So I wonder if your attitude to magic has changed?
#10      A Kind of Magic... Queen
We do love to hear from you... just to let us know how you enjoy these programs... brought to you by volunteers... who hope to bring you some relaxation and pleasure while you’re here in Glan Clwyd... and we wish you a speedy recovery so you can get home again very soon.
I’d like to thank you all for accompanying me on this journey today and I trust you’ve enjoyed my take on Life, the Universe and Everything... which I hope will help on your journey through life... and this is Patsy Wynne signing off for today... from Radio Glan Clwyd...  and remember... Always look on the bright side...
(Except that there wasn't time for Monty Python.) 

No comments: