Friday 12 February 2010

DOHA


Saturday 3.am local time and I'm here for 6 hours before the final leg of my journey home. The 'quiet room' where one can stretch out on loungers, is overflowing tonight, so I'm sitting in an airport cafe with no food because I have no local money and only Vietnam Dong in my purse! C'est la vie. I did eat on the plane anyway and it is the middle of the night. It's really impossible to sleep here, even in the quiet room, because of constant announcements over the loudspeakers.

I had a taxi to the airport in HCMC, getting there 3 hours early because of fears of serious traffic jams, this being he beginning of Tet, which fears were proved groundless. The flight from Saigon was an hour late setting off but otherwise uneventful, if you can call sitting in a metal tube several thousand feet above terra firma while the world revolves below, uneventful! It seemed that the only moving events were the movies on every screen, many of which were very moving.

I should be landing at Manchester airport in12 hours time, with another hour or so to get home, which makes my total travelling time I think, 32 hours. Oh well, only 14 hours to go... it beats weeks and months at sea anyway. Isn't life amazing in this modern age?

No comments: