Wednesday 6 April 2011

MOVING ON... with music!

In my Hospital Radio show on Tuesday I was talking about moving on... and what that means. And because for me music is something very special  in how it becomes associated with our memories and affects our emotions I like to play songs that evoke these feelings.  You can hear my show online every Tuesday 2 to 3pm on  www.rygc.co.uk/
I'm adding my choice of records because it seems something's missing without that. My signature tune is...     # Good Vibrations... the Beach Boys.
Shame you can't hear... but just sing along...
# Rawhide... Frankie Laine

Circumstances usually force us to move on, especially when young; leaving home to go to college or uni... starting a new job and getting married usually means moving on. So many things happen to move us on... leaving a job... moving house... or leaving a relationship.
# These Boots were made for Walking... Nancy Sinatra
But it’s no good moving on in a physical sense if you’ve not moved on emotionally, because those conflicting emotions keep pulling you in different directions... and that stops you moving on in any positive direction. If you've been trying to lose weight or stop smoking and you're still hankering after those delicious fattening foods you love, or longing to have a smoke... you'll go back to those old habits in no time at all until you change your emotional attachment to them. 
# 50 Ways to leave your lover... Paul Simon
It’s said that a change is as good as a rest and we all love a holiday, or a day out, but don’t we love to come home again... back to our own bed and the regular routine of our lives.  And relationships are like that too. We get comfortable with what’s familiar and find it very hard to cope with any disturbance.  You’ll no doubt know of someone who moves from one relationship to another, but notice the similarity between their partners. We can’t help but gravitate to what’s familiar and so we keep repeating our mistakes over and over again.
# Don't get around much any more... Harry Connick Jr. 
I know it’s not always so easy to forget the past; most people treasure their memories and that’s great, but holding onto painful emotions... like regret... resentment... hate... anger... is like holding onto a red-hot poker... doesn’t hurt anyone but yourself!  So if you’re feeling anything painful... maybe you could you just decide to let it go?  Would you... if you could?  Are you ready to stop hurting and move on? 
# You're moving out today... Carole Baer-Saeger 
# Refuge of the roads... Joni Mitchell
So why do we need to know how to do this; that is with positive feelings, without looking back? Remember Lot’s wife? Escaping the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah she was told by the angel... NOT TO LOOK BACK... but she did... and was turned into a pillar of salt... which I believe can still be seen if you ever go to the holy land. That’s quite a warning... not to keep yearning for what’s past. 
 # Never forget you... Mariah Carey
Remembering is one thing, but keeping our feelings secret is something else because... remember the film Secrets and Lies? Secrets of any sort have the habit of coming back at you and biting you on the butt! 
# Sorry seems to be the hardest thing... Elton John
This is one way I deal with my conflicts and it’s one way to let those old emotions go and MOVE ON. I  practise a technique known as EFT... that’s based on acupuncture points but without needles, which always helps reduce any conflicts in the mind and any negative emotion, because just doing the tapping helps balance the emotional energy systems of the body.  If you’d like to do this for yourself...
  • First identify how you’re feeling and how bad it is (from 0 to 10).  
  • Start tapping the outer edge of one hand below the little finger... with the fingertips of the other hand... taking a few deep breaths... while focussing on what you’re feeling...
  • While you focus on your own emotion... Take a deep breath ... then say out loud...
  •  Even though I’m feeling... this hurt... this anger... whatever it is you’re feeling...
  •  Then balance this by saying...
I accept myself... and all my feelings... and I love myself anyway.
  • Even though this feeling keeps coming back... time and time again... I don’t know why... and it’s been affecting my life for so long...
I forgive myself for whatever I’ve done in my life that’s resulted in hurting myself and others.  I’d like to forgive others who hurt me... even though that’s not easy... we all do what feels right at the time... and life goes on... this too will pass...
When I do this regularly... when I wake up and go to the bathroom... while taking a shower... waiting for the kettle to boil... or my computer to boot... or when I find myself staring into space... I actually begin to feel easier...  and the more I do this, the better I feel about myself and the easier it is to accept, love and forgive everyone else. 
# What are you doing the rest of your life?... Alison Moyet
So what are you doing the rest of your life? Holding on... or letting go?  Hurting yourself... or finding peace of mind? Holding onto pain... or filling your heart with Love? 
# Come away with me... Norah Jones
The world is changing and we must go with the flow... towards peace and harmony... with new attitudes of acceptance,  forgiveness and love.
# A new day has come... Celind Dion
 Because if we don't move on from old beliefs and habits, we risk spending the rest of our lives in a sinkhole of negativity and depression.
# Always look on the bright side of life... Monty Python

2 comments:

Diane Holliday said...

This is so true. We get hung up on our own familier habits and yes they are not easy to change...but change we must.

Gadget said...

You really are a 'Wise Woman' Pat.

I just go around in circles.