Wednesday 17 August 2011

STORY TIME


THEME:           STORY TIME   
This is Patsy Wynne inviting you to share the next hour with me... enjoying my choice of music... which sometimes surprises me... and always delights... HELLO to whoever’s listening in hospital... and to those who may be listening online... WELCOME to you too!
#          Good Vibrations...
Today I’m thinking about Stories... and don’t we all love stories? From children’s fairy tales to romantic novels... historical drama to science fiction... stories help us make sense of our world and our emotional reactions... Well, I’ll be contributing my thoughts on that... in between the records... which I hope will make you smile... or simply lift your spirits...
I’ve been asking people I know to tell me their story through their own choice of music... and today I’m going to share one woman’s story... told through her favourite songs. Diane tells me that when she was a young mother, the only thing that would calm her first child, Simon, was the Beatles’ Yellow Submarine... which she got heartily sick of! I can add to that memories of my own children singing the very same song lustily on every car journey...
#1        Yellow Submarine... Beatles
Diane’s second child was born to the Beatles song, Michelle, My Belle... after which her daughter was named... now known as Shelly. By the time she had her third child, music had moved on and this was Mathew’s song, which made a refreshing change...
#2        American Pie... Don Maclean
Diane’s story continues.. as her marriage gradually started to collapse, songs became more meaningful... and as she tried to keep her family together... this is an abiding memory...
#3        Love will Keep Us Together... Captain and Tennille
Many of us have been through the pain of a marriage gone sour... when our most personal relationship becomes too difficult to bear... sometimes living in fear of one’s partner... so on reflection this was very appropriate... as breaking up is hard to do...
#4        Breaking Up is Hard to Do... Neil Sedaka
At the time Diane had a beautiful home with a large lounge and conservatory... and she would dance while she cleaned... sing while she ironed... and the Carpenters provided just about the most amazing music for her to do that...
#5        We’ve only just begun... the Carpenters
Don’t forget that we always welcome your requests for a particular record, or a mention of someone or something special... and if you have an interesting or funny story to tell, connected to a special song... we’d love to hear from you.   You can contact Radio Glan Clwyd by phone on 01745-584229... or, if you’re here in hospital, on Extension 4360 or, or ask one of the volunteers going around the wards. You can also listen online at... www.rygc.co.uk
Continuing Diane’s story... eventually she met and fell in love with the man who was to become her second husband... only she was wrestling with her conscience about leaving her marriage, which would disrupt her children’s lives.  This meant leaving, not just an unhappy relationship, but her lovely home... not to mention the financial security... which she’d helped to build up over the years. This next choice was an inspirational song for her at that time... but her mind was not on the dance any more...
#6        One Day I’ll Fly Away... Randy Crawford
Diane wanted to fly away... as we all do at times... but now she was in a new relationship and Life was to be Lived... she started to dance again...
#7        Living La Vida Loca... Ricky Martin
As life began to settle down again for Diane... though never really settled... her new relationship blossomed... and, she says, this is a simple statement of fact... she experienced real love... not what you read about in books... but real nonetheless...
#8        I Will Always Love You... Whitney Houston
Let’s face it... love is the most important thing in life. When you feel loved, you feel so good... when you feel loved, you can do anything... when you feel loved, you are invincible... when you feel loved, you spread that love around, which makes all around you feel happy too...
Diane still loves to move to music... and you just can’t sit still and listen to this one...(Couldn’t find Cool...)
#9        Black Magic Woman... Santana
Now to bring Diane’s life a little more up to date... she now waltzes around the room with her little granddaughter Ruby... to this next song... both shouting out loud with... Ruby, Ruby, Ruby...
#10      Ruby... the Kaiser Chiefs
After many years together... Diane’s wonderful husband died last year... and she still thanks him for the personal power and self esteem he inspired in her... she says... He believed in me... no if’s... no but’s... and that was for the first time in my life.”
He helped her create her business and through her years of training with nothing but encouragement. He would say to her... “You have a brain in that beautiful head... get on and use it!”
#11      You Are the Wind Beneath My Wings... Bette Midler
I know many women who can relate to Diane’s story... how she felt so put down and undervalued... losing her confidence and self esteem. It’s tragic how relationships that start so romantically can disintegrate into psychological and even physical abuse.  Sadly it often starts in early life... when a young child is ignored or ridiculed for its creative efforts... and told... “That’s nice... go and play”... the message comes across loud and clear... ‘Stop bothering me... you’re not worth listening to... you’re of no account.’  Or, usually from a father... “Haven’t you got something useful to do?”  If only all parents learned how to parent better than their parents did... but usually we’re too young and ignorant to know any better... until it’s too late...
So many people, women especially, grow up desperate to express themselves in some way... but afraid that they’ll ‘show themselves up’...  because often the attitude in the family is... “Who do you think you are?” and  “Don’t get too big for your boots”...  sounds familiar?  Perhaps that was true for Diane... and maybe her first husband treated her in a similar manner... but having survived and overcome her own fears and limiting beliefs... Diane now uses her skills and life experience to help others overcome their self-limiting beliefs... and as life moves on... she is still dancing... and singing...
#12      Silly Love Songs... Paul McCartney
Well... I’d like to thank Diane for her story... which many of us can echo... and even though life can be hard... one thing I’ve learned the hard way is that... life goes on... no matter what...
(Running out of time... so had to cut this out..)
·         One of the therapeutic techniques that I know Diane teaches her clients... as I do... is EFT... because it’s so easy to learn and simple to do for oneself.  And tapping with EFT can change those limiting beliefs that stop us in our tracks... so that we give up on our creativity... whether it’s making music... or art... or writing... or starting a business... thinking... ‘I’ll never be good enough’... ‘Nobody wants to hear me’... ‘Who’d want to buy my pictures anyway?’   
·         We simply tap on what we’re feeling... while we say these things out loud... so if you’d like to follow along with me now... hearing that voice in your head... that somehow reminds you of your mother.. or father... or teacher! How does that feel?  Focus on the emotion... got it? How bad is that feeling on a scale of 1-10... where 10 is really bad?  Maybe write that down so you’ll know how your feeling changes...
·         Start tapping the side of your hand... take a deep breath and say out loud ... if you can... your own phrase... whatever it is... or just repeat after me...
·         Even though I’m useless... mother used to tell me... and she should know... I love myself anyway...
·         Even though I’m wasting my time... Dad told me ... so it must be true... I accept that maybe he was talking to himself...
·         Even though I’ll never be good enough... my teacher told me, in front of the class... but what did she know anyway? I forgive myself for believing that for so long... it’s not my fault...
·         Now repeat that saying... while you keep tapping... EB, SE, UE, UN, CH, CB,
·         Top of Head... Why would I believe that?... who needs it?  Maybe I could just let it go... let it go... just let it go... and now take a long deep breath... that’s right... let it out...
I wonder how bad that feeling emotion is now?  On the 1-10 scale... what is it? did it change at all?  That’s a very quick demonstration... but you can keep repeating that... saying whatever comes into your mind... accepting and loving yourself anyway... with forgiveness... for yourself and others... and see what happens...
TIME: 58.00...
That’s Diane’s story... but everyone has a story... so I’m asking you all now to think about your story and the music that would illustrate it... and if you’d care to put it down on paper and send it to me, Patsy, at Radio Glan Clwyd... I’d be delighted to include it in the show...
I’d like to thank you all for accompanying me on this journey today and I trust you’ve enjoyed my take on Life, the Universe and Everything... and this is Patsy Wynne signing off for today... from Radio Glan Clwyd...  and remember... Always look on the bright side...
#    Always look on the Bright side of Life... Monty Python... 

No comments: