Tuesday 19 August 2008

5 days and counting

Monday 18th August 2008

I really can’t believe there are only 5 days left to blastoff. As I left my weekend care job this morning, I drove through the town with a surreal sense of disconnection; as though I were leaving for ever the mundane life of ‘ordinary people’ going about their everyday business. This dreamlike feeling continued throughout the 40 mile drive, accentuated by the ethereal music of Classic FM that floated me all the way home.

My daughter Annie brought me down to earth with the assertion that my destination will be so hot I’ll hardly need to wear anything and came over to help reassess my packing. In fact she assures me that even four changes of clothes will be too many! So I now have three outfits plus what I’ll be wearing to travel. Mark tells me that clothes are very cheap over there; after all, that’s where they are manufactured these days!

When I leave Vietnam I’ll be travelling with just one rucksack. I found this great bag in a Sale just a couple of weeks ago, which has both wheels and back-straps and is lightweight. This will accommodate my laptop plus some clothes and other items. Moreover, this will travel as cabin luggage. I’m sorted!

No comments: