Monday 25 August 2008

Hello from Viet Nam!

I'm here and finally online in my hotel room. It's 10.30 at night here; 6 hours ahead of the UK and I'm ready for bed so I'll very briefly give you my first impressions of VietNam from the time Mark picked me up at Ho Chi Minh Airport on Sunday morning. Firstly, it's a very busy city full of people buzzing about on motorscooters and bicycles. This morning I took my life in my hands to cross a road on the way to the English school to meet Mark.

Around 12.00 everything stops as people go home for lunch and siesta for 3 to 4 hours. Then its HOT! Occasional rain does cool it down a bit. Today I came back to my Air Conditioning room, stripped off and sat with a wet flannel on my head to cool down.

The people are very friendly, the women very beautiful and the men mostly good looking. They appear happy and easy going, but there is a tendency for good men to go out drinking, leaving wives and family at home. So what's new?

I joined Mark's class this evening and had a great time answering their forthright questions; 'How old are you?' being one of the first things they ask, so I ask them to guess. I'll enjoy teaching here, they are so eager to learn.

I must sleep now. Catch up later.

No comments: