Wednesday 20 August 2008

If I should not Return

Today the news is of a terrible plane crash in Spain and my heart goes out to those involved in the tragedy. For the injured and bereaved nothing will ever be the same again.

However, I don’t identify personally with such disasters. I have no more fear of flying than of driving on a motorway to get to the airport or crossing the road to get to the shop. I do trust modern technology in spite of all the Disaster films I’ve seen! But I also don’t consider myself immune from chance and unforeseen circumstance and am therefore motivated to put my own thoughts in order at this time.

If I should not return from this trip I wish to make clear to my family and friends that my positive attitude and inner resilience have been hard won. (In my younger days I would frequently berate myself for my stupidity but that was before I understood anything about psychology or energy medicine.)

I consider that whatever has happened in my life, the tragic events as well as the good times, are simply the ingredients of who I am today. I miss those who’ve been lost but regret nothing and value nothing so much as the love and companionship of my dear family. I want my children to know that I loved their father completely, as far as I was able at such a young and innocent age, in spite of what happened. (Other readers are free to imagine...) What hardships we came through are insignificant in comparison to many others’ lives. I even feel that I’ve had a charmed life! I’ve never starved or been homeless. I may have been betrayed, deserted and defrauded, but never beaten up, raped or mugged. So far I’ve never had a serious accident or debilitating illness. My family are generally fit and healthy. We are blessed with good genes.

I believe that to a large extent we make our own lives. When I lived in fear of what might happen... it did, but usually in a way I could not even imagine! Now I imagine how great life can be... and even greater opportunities appear. I’m happy with my life and want nothing more than to spread a little of that happiness wherever I go.

Now I’m not for a moment suggesting that the people on that plane somehow, through their negative thoughts, caused their plane to crash; perish the thought. We are all subject to other influences, the complex webs of cause and effect that culminate in chance and unforeseen circumstance. So whenever and however I meet my demise, I would like to think that the experience will be illuminating. In the words of Peter Pan; ‘To die will be an awfully big adventure.’ Whatever lies in store I will do my best to make it as enjoyable as possible!

If I should not return, know that I lived life to the best of my ability. Even though I may have fallen short many times and in countless ways... I forgive myself, I was doing the best I could. Even though I could have done better, (as my school reports frequently observed)... I learned my lessons the hard way. Every hard knock gave me a tougher skin... every hurt made my resolve stronger... and after every fall, I got up more determined. Even though I didn’t always know how to show my love... I first had to learn to love myself. Even though I may have been hard on my children... it was to give you the strength and resilience to survive. I’m so proud of you all; my wonderful children and beautiful grandchildren, not to mention my delightful great-grand-daughter, and trust you will continue to grow in love and prosper in the joy of life.

If I have learned anything, it is to have the courage to change what I can change, accept what I cannot change and have the wisdom to know the difference.

If I should not return... know that you are loved... and love is the key to life.

2 comments:

celia said...

oh my oh my oh my !!!

BON vogage dear patricia !

You are an inspiration !

Today I was waiting at my computer for a confirmation e-mail from the travel people regarding my trip to peru in october - feeling very anxious - full of "am I doing the right thing here?" energy -. !! So as I sat and waited I checked my incoming e-mails - and lo and behold there was your newsletter and BLOG !!

What lovely timing !!

After reading your wondrous musings I feel so excited and happy for you and my own anxiety has evaporated.

Aren't we funny creatures how as soon as one worrisome issue resolves itself we move on to the next ?? I've caught myself doing that as the planning for this trip unfolds -

Instead I resolve to feel the joy !!!

Off we go to see the world - loving every minute of it !!

love and very best wishes to you dear pat.

celia !!

Nancy Lewis said...

Thank you for this.