Wednesday 22 April 2009

More of my life




Following Michael's Blog... http://www.gymnastmike.blogspot.com/... I read that he thinks his blog has become boring and I know what he means! While I was having my great adventure I had so much to write about there wasn't enough time to do it justice, but now I'm home again I've settled into my quiet, uneventful life, which maybe I think isn't so interesting! However, some of my readers have been kind enough to request that I continue my blogging and I've certainly had enough time to assimilate my experiences.

It's very comfortable back here with all home comforts around me after 'roughing it' quite a bit for the previous six months. However, this has the effect of making me quite lazy, not taking regular exercise and eating and drinking too much. Is this because I'm bored? I wonder. I'm doing things to let people know I'm back and available for Therapy, as well as advertising Introduction to EFT Workshops, but not enough interest so far.

The trouble is that I've come back to the task of paying off my credit cards that enabled me to travel and the one way I can do this is to go back to Personal Care work; that is, living-in with an elderly person for a week or more, helping them with all the things they are unable to do. The advantage of this is that I can choose to accept or reject any work offered by my agency. At the moment I'm working one week, then home for two, which isn't so bad. I do have some free time when I can use my laptop, but can't get on-line while I'm there as old ladies tend not to have Broadband! Mostly, I tidy up files and write up ideas for workshops and newsletters. And I read! This last week I finally read The Deer Hunter. I'd been moved by the film when it came out, how long ago? I'm usually behind the times but it meant more to me having been there, where it all happened. I must look out more 'must-read' books for the next time I go away.

When I'm home I watch too much TV, but while I'm on-line I can ignore it until something catches my attention. Funny, I never had that problem while in Viet Nam. During the day I was usually busy preparing lessons, while the evenings were taken up with teaching and I miss the routine and pressure to come up with new ideas. Then I miss the companionship of Mark and Judy... and of course Michael, who'd take me on his bike to go shopping or eat out.

Here at home I live alone and have my car to take me wherever I want to go, but I don't want to give the impression that I'm sad and lonely! I do see my girls; Julie visits and often stays over, while Annie is only seven miles down the valley and works in town, where I can call in to see her.
My sister Di came for Easter with her little dog CJ and we had a great three days catching up.

My dear young friend Sian lives just down the road, though I haven't seen very much of her lately, she's so busy! This young lady was virtually housebound when I first met her, so I'm very happy to see such a great change in her life.
My 'twin' friend Dot (our birthdays are only 24 hours apart) lives in Holyhead, the Ferry Terminal for Ireland, which is at the 'end of the world' on Anglesey; too far to say, 'come over for coffee', or 'let's meet at the cinema' and I miss having someone to spend evenings with, to go to the Theatre or just have a drink. I think there are far too many women like me, stuck indoors when we want a little adventure!

I wonder what we can do about it! All suggestions gratefully received.



3 comments:

Catherine Woods said...

You live in such a glorious part of the world that photographs of the multitude of sights, both natural and man-made in the area, including through the seasons, could become virtual field trips for people like myself who can no longer travel overseas. As for the companionship part of these field trips . . . in addition to family members joining you, how about clients joining you for a workshop designed specifically as part of an outing? What blog could be triggered by doing these things, I wonder?

Seeking new friends to join you for a swim or a walk, or even a drink, could reinvigorate your own love for these things and again catalyze a blog. Plus, when visitors come to town (like Mike, I believe?), simply sharing the joy of their discoveries could become the basis for a post. It's always good to have visitors, as they can enlarge our own perceptions which then can be shared!

One last idea . . . I seem to recall you have a bike and used to love to tour the countryside this way. Could others join you, even for short journeys? One of the things I can still do is ride my bike around town, both on the bike trails and in the lovely neighborhoods. It's such a lovely way to see both close-ups as well as the big view. And for me, it's so grounding to pedal away.

I know how easy it is to get lulled into a safe, but dull rhythm when one feels at home. And you may have needed to take it easy after your big travel adventure. Plus there are those weeks when you must work. And yet, you write so well, and so compellingly, that I'd love to continue to join you on your journeys, both internal and external!

Anyway, hope my ruminations trigger something in you.

With blessings,
Catherine

Patsy said...

Than you so much Catherine for your input. I'm so glad you're still able to cycle... I just love it. Yes, I have my folding bike in the boot of my car, which doesn't come out often enough. We get some strong winds here as you'll recall, but as the weather improves I'll certainly be out and about so will post pics of wherever I get to.

Unknown said...

Well, you come on back to 'Nam, and we'll have more motorcycle adventures!!