Sunday 5 April 2009

Where I Live



Here, for Michael and other faithful readers, are some pics of where I live in North Wales, which is one of the most beautiful areas in the UK. Actually, I'm not from Wales, but a refugee from England and have been priveleged to live here for the last 27 years, which is longer than I've lived anywhere else.


I moved from a little house in the mountains to Llandudno only 5 years ago and its quite different here on the coast. I love the mountains, but when cloud and rain regularly descend on them, here the sun shines!


Llandudno is a Victorian Seaside Resort, built on a flat narrow peninsula ending in a huge rock, called the Great Orme, jutting out into the Irish Sea. The town is built on the shingle bank that joins it to the mainland. In times past the effect was that of a sea monster raising its head from the sea and hence named Orme or Worm by the Vikings, alledgedly. At its narrowest point, the peninsula is only one mile across and I live midway between the North Promenade and West Shore. This pic is of our annual Victorian Extravaganza that takes over the town. This is a ride at the top end of town below steep slopes of the Orme.

My favourite walk is along the West Shore towards the Orme and up the footpath called Invalids' Walk, presumably because in Victorian times rich people in Wheelchairs would be pushed up the slope to admire the elevated views. It would be quite a push however and I see no wheelchairs there today. This brings me round the lower slopes towards the North Promenade, town centre and back home, a walk of approximately 2 miles.

This is the view towards North Shore and the Little Orme. The next one is of the Pier looking towards the Little Orme.

When I'm feeling really energetic, I go further up the Orme, exploring its many nooks and crannies, which can take an hour or so walking. The Orme is home to feral goats that were introduced in Victorian times and now plague the gardens of the town in winter!














However, this is only a small sample of the scenic delights here in North Wales. There will be more at a later date!




3 comments:

Catherine Woods said...

Thanks for these wonderful photos. Yes, indeed, it is a beautiful location.

Unknown said...

So beautiful! I can not wait to come visit! I may not want to leave it's so lovely!!

Catherine Woods said...

Hi Pat, Here's hoping you'll continue this journal, tracking your "travels" both internal and external, in Wales!