Wednesday 16 September 2009

Pushing the limits

I was watching a TV programme about an American 'Bird-man'. (No, not the birdman of Alcatraz!) This young guy has gone from Base-jumping... that's jumping off high places and pulling a chute at the last moment to land safely... to jumping out of a helicopter to 'fly' down the Eiger! He wears a specially designed suit with weblike panels that stretch between the legs and join the arms to the body, giving him greater air resistance and the ability to manouevre like a gliding bird. That's more amazing than skydiving because his aim is to stay as close to his 'base' as possible; a building, cliff, or mountain!

I do love to hear of people who stretch the limits and dare to do what others don't even dream of. My favourite books from the age of seven were tales of adventure and exploration. However, blazing a trail through the wilderness or hacking a way through the jungle is not for me, although I do favour the narrow path that leads over a mountain pass or follows the bend of a river, the road less travelled, rather than taking the broad easy route that takes one away from more exciting terrain.

I'm more of a follower, looking for the old ways that have been tried and tested but disregarded by those who want the journey of life to be easy and stress free. I want the freedom of the 'Bird-man'; to fly close to the hard reality of life while enjoying every heart-beating moment!

4 comments:

Gadget said...

I saw that video - I think his name's Jeb Corless and there are a few videos of him 'flying' on YouTube.

Personally I think he's totally mad but I agree about stretching the limits although I do know my own limits.

From the top of a mountain's ski lift system I've put on crampons and hiked another 1000 feet to ski right from the very top.

It was scary and very steep and as I took my courage in both hands and dropped over the ridge, I lost a ski and fell and slid some way down the slope. Having no other choice, I took off my remaining ski and kicked steps into the snow to climb back up to collect the other one and finally skied all the way down to the bottom of the mountain.

Once I got there I wanted to have another go!

Life's a bit difficult now and I know I need to 'drop over the ridge' a bit more. To challenge myself.

Patsy said...

You are so adventurous Shirley... like your spirit! There are many things I'd like to have done but haven't yet, though there's still time!!

Unknown said...

Ms. Patsy, there for SURE is still time!! I hope I can be half as adventurous as you are in my lifetime!

Catherine Woods said...

Hi Patsy,

Yes, what Jeb Corless and Shirley have done is indeed inspiring! And as there are so many ways each of us can stretch and build bridges into new freedoms and new ways to perceive, it seems this opportunity exists for all who are ready and willing!

With blessings,
Catherine