Sunday 13 September 2009

Quality rather than quantity

The debate on euthanasia rolls on and on, while people desperate to end their own suffering or that of a loved one, wait for a definitive ruling in agony. Can one help to end a life with the very best intentions, or not? You wouldn't let a dog linger on unnecessarily, would you? Not an easy subject, as the Law Lords are only too well aware, that could open a loophole for unscrupulous relatives to relieve themselves of a burden and cash in the inheritance. Not that fear of the law has ever stopped such people using foul play to achieve their own ends anyway, if they thought they could get away with it!

Looking after old people with dementia, not to mention debilitating and/or terminal illness has made me very aware of the quality of life. Do I really want to live on when my mind and body are aching to leave this mortal coil behind? No thank you very much! When I'm really past it (not yet awhile) please DO NOT rush me to hospital and hook me up to machines that would keep me alive artificially. I must stress here that I know hospitals do a wonderful job in rescusitating and repairing those who are not yet ready for the knackers yard!

Actually, I don't really want to get into this debate, except to say that to my mind, it's the QUALITY of life that matters, rather than the quantity. However long one is destined to live, the most important thing is to make it as enjoyable as possible by aiming to value each moment of every day. If this seems somewhat ambitious, maybe that's because you're not used to thinking this way, or think perhaps that would be selfish! Anyway, it's something to think about, isn't it!

2 comments:

Catherine Woods said...

Yes, enjoyable is a good word choice. I also agree about "aiming to value each moment of every day." Eckhart Tolle puts it well when he writes (in A New Earth) about acceptance, enjoyment, and my favorite word, enthusiasm, as being an emerging new way to be/live on Earth. Yes, I'm all for a quality (in the best sense) life!

Unknown said...

I can certainly understand that. I'd rather not be a burden to my family and be hooked up to machines that are only going to make me live longer in a vegetative state. It's a no-win situation, in my opinion.