Wednesday 11 February 2009

Remarkable!

Thurs 12th Feb 2009

Last night found us at Manapouri, the gateway to Milford Sound; the 'must-do' for tourists! We arrived late as the sun was setting in a rosy glow over the impressive mountains. Believing that the red sky at night portended a good morning, we intended to get an early start for the hundred mile round trip to Milford Sound; the only road there and back. Waiting for the only computer to be vacated by others, we had an interesting chat with Nigel, a Hydro-electrical engineer from Invercargill working on a small project locally. We always take the opportunity to talk to the locals and Julie says thanks for the beer Nigel!

Today however, the weather wasn't usual for a summer's day and we woke late and tired after the long drive yesterday, so decided to do the next best thing and make for Te Anau where we watched a wonderful film of flights aound the peaks and depths of this fantastic landscape. It was so impressive I just had to buy the DVD. The little cinema was very comfortable and we had coffee served while waiting for it to start. It was a warm relief from the cold grey outside.

With only one week left, we have to decide what to cut out or we'll be doing nothing but driving!!!!!

The drive from there to Queenstown became more dramatic as mountains loomed even higher out of the mist. We booked into a town centre campsite by 6.00pm and came for a walk around this very busy and popular tourist town at the foot of the range of the Remarkables mountains, a centre for skiing in the winter. Here I've found a Global Gossip internet centre, which I have credit to use!

So I should be able to download a few pics on the previous blogs!

2 comments:

JoJo said...

Hi! Mrs.Patsy I'm JoJo(Bich Ngoc) How are you? I didn't meet you long ago. Can you give me email of you?.

Patsy said...

Hi Jo-Jo... you can email me at patricia_wynne@hotmail.com but I may not be able to answer until I get home again next week.