Friday 7 August 2009

Middle England


I'm staying in a part of rural England that seems almost untouched by time and takes me far back to childhood memories. There are few houses that are not old in this hamlet; it can hardly be called a village, except that it has a Church. There seems to be no village centre, no shop and no pub. Except for signposts and the Village Hall you wouldn't know it was a village at all. The houses are strung out along narrow lanes that meander from farm to farm, eventually coming round in a long loop.

I took a walk along the lane, when it had stopped pouring down with rain, coming eventually to the Church in the middle of a field! No road or proper track leads to it; you walk across a field to get to it! I walked back along a farm track, sometimes squelching through mud, under overhanging trees, with the pungent smells of animals, earth, grass and unnamed herbs and flowering plants that some would label 'weeds'.




A large part of my childhood was spent in such country surroundings; up and down the country, wherever my Dad was stationed by the RAF, my Mother and I would find somewhere to stay nearby. They both loved the country, having spent their courting years walking and cycling away from the city. I find it hard to resist a footpath sign or leafy lane and when I find myself marching along a path like a foot soldier, I'm minded of walks with Dad as I tried to keep up with him.

I remember the village pump being the only source of water, washing hanging over bushes to dry, great carthorses pulling carts and ploughs and gleaning in the cornfield with the village children, the whole village helping with the harvest. One difference now is the well groomed riding horses in the fields, an indication of the affluence of at least some of the inhabitants here.

6 comments:

Arca Hotate Karibi said...

my name is diep. i am vietnamese.i used to meet you at a party when you stayed in vietnam. maybe you don't remember my face but i always miss you. i am very happy to read your blog. through it i can understand more about life and landscape outside vietnam. i don't know if u can return to vietnam. if i don't have a chance to meet you again, i am also delighted to send u mail and read your blog. how interesting!
now i stop studying at ktv school and i try to study english at home !
best wishes to you!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ms. Patsy, your blogs always put a smile on my face. What is the name of the village in this entry? Would like to find it on google earth :)

Patsy said...

The village is called Preston Wynne, which is somewhat of a coincidence! It's in Herefordshire.

Catherine Woods said...

I love the photo of the horse. Thanks for sharing your story, triggered by this place, of your childhood. Clearly fond memories! Many small towns in the USA, especially in Iowa and Illinois (where I grew up), have long since been abandoned/deserted by inhabitants seeking work and such in the larger cities. What's left are skeletons much like what you picture, including churches in the middle of fields!

Unknown said...

Heya! I think I've found that church you were talking about. Google Earth has wonderful photos of that town. See if I'm right. Put this into your google earth.
52° 6'56.65"N 2°38'44.37"W