Saturday 15 August 2009

Cycling in the country


When I have time off, which isn't very much, I like to explore the countryside by foot or bike. I can't go more than a couple of miles from here without coming to a main road and I've done the circuit of lanes twice now on my bike, only about 6 miles. The farmers have been making the most of every fine day to get on with the haymaking leaving the shorn fields a wonderful colour.

In case you can't make it out, that's my reflection in a mirror on the road.
The first time I took a ride on a lovely sunny afternoon, I returned hot and sweaty from the exertion of coming back uphill and was shocked to be reprimanded by 'my lady'.

"What do you think you're doing, getting yourself into such a state?" she demanded. To which I replied, "It's called exercise! Gets your heart going you know?" "Well I don't think you should be doing such things at your age!" she insisted. "I hate cycling; had to ride my bike to school every day, in all weathers, I hate it!" Too bad. She's 90 years old and was brought up on a farm when life was hard, so maybe that attitude is understandable.

Maybe not for her the joys of a leisurely ride along leafy lanes to the singing of birds, making hardly a sound to disturb the wildlife, freewheeling down long hills with the wind in your hair and seeing how far you can get up the hill before getting off. Anyway, for me there's something very satisfying about getting further in less time in a most ecological way.
I love my bike! When I was young I would ride from Southport where I lived, on a Sunday, to stay with my grandparents in Manchester, (about 60 miles) and after a week's work there ride back on the Friday night; a shorter route (only 40 miles) that descended the long steep hill at Parbold down onto the Lancashire plain.

Please pardon me for bragging! I've cycled around North Wales and Shropshire and across Ireland from Dublin to the West coast in 3 weeks. That was some years ago, but I reckon I could do a lot more. Because I now live in a flat with no garage, my bike is now a folding model that lives in the boot of my car and I don't get it out often enough. Once I'm on my bike I'm free and could go anywhere. Maybe I could do a sponsored trip or something!



My sister Di when she visited me here and we took a walk down the lane. It was great that she could visit, as she lives only 30 odd miles from here and we had a lovely afternoon.


3 comments:

Gadget said...

Hello Pat

I've just caught up with your Blogs - I only remember when I get the Who2 email.

I applaud your determine to get more exercise. I try to do more myself. I go for a regular Health Walk in the New Forest but enjoy the company even more than the exercise.

I've started cycling the six miles to work and have found a longer route with more parkland but I keep forgetting to leave earlier to accommodate it!

Patsy said...

Hello Shirley... good to hear from you again! Are you on Facebook?

Catherine Woods said...

Hi Pat,

As you've seen from my Facebook photos, I love bike riding too and also own a fold-up model (made by Dahon)!

Here's to continuing to enjoy both the benefits and the sheer pleasure of this particular activity!

Catherine