Friday 26 December 2008

Bien Hoa to Phnom Pen









Saturday 27th Dec

Happy Birthday to Georgie... 10 today!  Have a lovely day!

This is an update to yesterday's blog with pics of Co Mai's Goodbye lunch, Mark choosing a new PC with the help of Nick and Mr Ha, Michael with Sophia's Dad, Nick and Mark with Sophia singing Karaoke, me in my new suit; (a gift from Brad and Jojo), outside the very posh Majestic in Saigon, crossing the mighty Mekong and finally, breakfast with Rich in Phnom Pen!

Friday 26th Dec

I've not had time to blog since Sunday because of adding pics to the previous ones. This all takes time and there was so much else to do preparing for the rest of my journey; booking hotels last minute at Xmas was a bit fraught; one in Saigon last night for me and Mark and another in Phnom Pen for me and Rich when he gets here. I left Bien Hoa early on Xmas Day by train with Mark who had things to do in town.  

I was so tired after a night at Sophia's (see Michael's blog: My Time in Vietnam.) We were all invited to stay in her family's fantastic new house with all mod cons after the party and that meant Mark could get back to his own bed and get a good night's sleep.  Since I returned from my trip he'd given his bed to me, (new teacher Nick had moved into my room) and had to stay at a local hotel after evening classes. So as lovely and comfortable as my room was, the noise from various Xmas parties (they do like things loud here!) permeated the double glazing, earplugs and scarf that I donned and sleep was fitful. Even after the loud music stopped I heard singing coming from the Karaoke room (yes, they have one room dedicated to that function.)  I could hear Michael's plaintive; "Is it me you're looking for?"  We had an emotional farewell; I'll miss that crazy Louisiana man. We shared the experience of being new teachers and finding our way around on his bike; he's only just learned to ride! Michael, you come and visit me at home anytime, OK? 

So I slept for a couple of hours while Mark went to meet little Michael who helps him buy DVD's at a good price. Then I had to get my bus ticket from the Meilinh Office, (the best bus operators around) which just happened to be close to the hotel, so I didn't have far to go the next morning, that is today, to get the bus. 

So here I am in Phnom Pen, in a cafe with Wifi, and I must contact Rich if I can as he should now be in Singapore, waiting for his flight here tomorrow! I'll be at the Airport to meet him at 7.30  in the morning.
That's all for now folks!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so happy to hear that you arrived in Cambodia safely. I'll be following your blog religiously, and I can't wait to visit ya!! I miss you already!