Thursday 4 December 2008

Xmas is coming...



It's December and even here in Communist Viet Nam, Christmas is raising its tinselled head! Of course, a large percentage of the population are Catholics, having been ruled by the French for a hundred years, so it's understandable. However, here it's not the same materialistic orgy that proliferates in the western world; nothing shuts for Xmas as far as I know and life goes on as normal. The really big festival here as in all Asia, is the New Year, in Jan-Feb according to the phase of the moon. This is the time for giving presents, especially to children. Everything shuts for a day or so, the schools close and most people take two weeks' holiday off work. Those that can afford it go on holiday, or at least visit relatives who may live in other parts of the country.

This Xmas tree just appeared outside Co-op Mart.


KTV will be closed, which will give Mark the opportunity to relax and write his novel, or go off travelling on his bike... whichever is cheaper! However, if I want to see this I'll have to come back next year as I'll be in Australia or New Zealand by then. Plans are coming together and I've been talking to Rich and Julie, who's looking forward to our travels together. I've also heard from our lovely Cathy, my granddaughter, who's very keen to join us in NZ. The more the merrier, I say!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're right, that Christmas tree really did just POP UP out of nowhere. I swear it wasn't there when I went in to go to the movie!

Catherine Woods said...

Hi again Pat -- How fun that Cathy might join you in NZ. Here's to that coming completely "together"!