Tuesday 22 December 2009

Another short trip

This time, one of Mark's former students, Roni, took me on her bike to a country park with waterfalls, only a few kilometers from here Although Mark was too busy to join us, it was very pleasant and he can go another time. However, I should have followed Roni's advice to set off early in the morning, but these days its not easy to jump out of bed before I've done some exercise to loosen up, even if I wake early, which doesn't happen if I've been reading till midnight!

It was a hot day, with a cloudless sky and most of the journey was on busy roads, but when we reached the park it was quite shaded and cooled by a light breeze. The waterfalls are not what you'd call spectacular, but are attractively presented with walkways, bamboo bridges, bars for drinks and icecream and shaded picnic spots. The pools around the falls were bright with children wearing orange life jackets and crossing the river above on stepping stones. Because it's Xmas, school parties from HCMC were having a great time.

Apparently this area used to be natural and FREE, but now it's being transformed into a moneymaking investment and I can see why. The extensive grounds have been landscaped with 'grass' (the tropical variety)and young trees, which will eventually give very good shade. There's not so much wild life now, such as snakes etc! and the paved roads and paths are easy for driving, walking and cycling (We hired bikes to find our way around!)
With very nice, if expensive, camping arrangements, new chalets and Restaurants, this is another Tourist trap, er... attraction. But I know why its such an attraction... it's easy and comfortable, (with loos) which I do appreciate at my age!

2 comments:

Catherine Woods said...

Hi Pat -- So many adventures, and they all look fun! This country park is quite nice as you say. I always enjoy the sounds smaller waterfalls make, don't you? It's too bad the park is getting commercialized . . .

Patsy said...

But it's lovely for families and school trips because there are no dangers now. I've been in the jungle and it's not a pretty place!