Sunday 27 December 2009

The end of Xmas day and home again

Our day long excursion on Christmas Day didn't end until after sunset as we were delayed on the way back, because Police were stopping bikes to check registration and driving licences. Although the girls had their driving licenses, Helen was riding her mother's bike while Emma was on her brother's, so they didn't have the registration papers with them. Although they'd done nothing wrong and their father could vouch for their validity by phone, the girls were being threatened with having the bikes impounded until they could produce the papers.

I was trying to take pics of this unexpected turn of events although the police officer didn't know that both my camera and phone had run out of power! I walked up, looked the officer straight in the eye and asked what was the problem. As the girls explained, I expressed amazement that we might be expected to travel the 60 kms back by bus... if there was one! When I asked what the solution could be, this was translated back and the young man sheepishly waved us on, much to everyone's relief. The girls were convinced that it was because of my presence, as the usual solution involves parting with money.
We expected to relax at Helen's home before returning on Saturday, but she got a message to say that our bus was cancelled due to lack of customers, so we had to decide what to do! Emma was already booked on the overnight bus so Helen phoned and managed to get us the last two seats on the same bus, which meant that after a shower and change of clothes we made a hasty departure. Well, when I say hasty, we went by bike to the main Ho Chi Minh Road and boarded the bus, which then waited for everyone else to turn up before departing at around 10.00 pm.

When I explain that in my country buses run on time and that if you don't turn up in time you simply lose your fare, they are amazed! There is a morning bus and an evening bus, but no-one can say what time it's due to leave. Nothing here seems to run to a real timetable, except perhaps the trains, although they are inevitably late in my experience.

A view of the the Ho Chi Minh Road, which is a major link through the Highlands between North and South Vietnam.

This bus was more comfortable than the last one as each 'bunk' had a softer mattress than before and I soon fell asleep. We arrived back at HCMC soon after 5.00am and stayed in our beds until 6.00am, (something we could never do at home) when the girls said we could get the bus back to Bien Hoa. However, the prospect of waiting for a bus that would probably take a couple of hours to go around the houses before getting home, was just too much, so I insisted on getting a taxi, which took the long way round and cost nearly £15, which is very expensive for here.

It was a real privelege to be invited to the home of such a lovely family who made me so welcome and I send them my thanks if they're reading this, which Helen might do if she can wade through all this English.

Surprisingly, I'd slept quite well and didn't have a nap all day. It was Mark's Cinema Club at school in the afternoon and we watched The Moulin Rouge, which was even better with English subtitles.

3 comments:

Catherine Woods said...

Hi Pat --

Thanks for sharing all these travel adventures via text and photos. It all seems so delicious.

I'm curious, have these journeys, taken as a whole, facilitated a sort of overarching awareness at a deep level about Vietnam and how/why you have selected to be there?

With love and blessings,
Catherine

Patsy said...

That's an interesting question Catherine. I keep wondering why I'm here too, with the heat, mosquitoes and lack of home comforts.
Apart from being here for Mark at a somewhat difficult time for him, I'm coming to appreciate how other cultures, although seemingly on a par with the modern world, can differ so much from the western 'norm'.
This experience is certainly expanding my personal understanding of human nature as well as satisfying my curiosity as to 'what's around the next corner'.

Diane Holliday said...

This is great Pat, Lovely pictures as usual and your commentary is fantastic. It's a real chance to see and feel a new way of life and I know that you love it there.
So pleased your Christmas was different and exciting if a little tiring. xx