Thursday 14 January 2010

Happy Birthday Annie xxxxx

Thinking about my dear daughter and hoping she'll read this, although I will phone her on Skype later today because it's 4.00 am there at the moment.

I just want to tell you about a movie I watched last night with Mark; a Pixar animation by the makers of Toy Story and many others, called UP. The Pixar movies are wonderful; I went to an exhibition of their work in New York about 4 years ago, that I found fascinating... though I've no more idea of how its done!

So what's so special about UP? you may ask. Well, as its about an old man facing the prospect of ending his days at the Shady Oaks Retirement home, it speaks to me personally as someone well into the last stages of life. He remembers his adventurous ambitions and escapes in his own home... I won't spoil the story for you. On his adventure he faces challenges and dangers, finding his inner strength, regaining physical agility and finally throwing away his walking aid.

What really resonated with me was how he had to let go of all his treasured possessions and finally his home, gaining an even better mode of transport in the end. I highly recommend it to anyone who has trouble letting go, like me.

Sometimes we need a sign to reinforce the thoughts and ideas that we're not sure about. UP has helped to clarify my feelings around the idea I wrote about in the last blog.

Yes... it's a revolutionary idea... but I've done it before. Yes... it could be risky at my age... but what's age got to do with anything. Yes... I will have cramped living conditions... but the whole country will become my garden. Yes... I may get tired of being a nomad occasionally... but I hope I'll always have my wonderful family to stay with.

Will I miss my comfortable home? Maybe, but I love to be on the move.
Will I regret letting go all my treasured possessions? Maybe, but when I'm away from home I don't even think about them.
Will I be lonely? Maybe, but I'm hoping to meet many more interesting people than I do now and I'm open to invitations from anyone to go anywhere!

I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone out there with comments or advice.

2 comments:

Diane Holliday said...

There you go....you know you can't take anything with you when you depart this life. There are no pockets in shrouds! So start by decluttering when you get back to UK, I did this once snd the relief you get is amazing!!! Must do it again as life brings clutter and stuff.....

Unknown said...

Oh I must see UP!