Thursday 7 January 2010

UPDATE

A week into the New Year already and I've done no travelling, except online. In fact I've hardly stepped outside because of having a sore throat and flu-like symptoms, though not too bad. Not bad enough to keep me away from the computer and my writing assignments anyway.

I'm thrilled that two people have emailed JUSTASKPAT and our correspondence is already beginning to yield results. I'm prepared for more than two... so please don't hesitate to get in touch. As usual I'm attempting to keep Mark's filing in order and ensure he goes out with everything he needs. He constantly writes interesting essays to challenge his more advanced students and relies on my eagle eye (just one) to spot any mistakes, which I do enjoy doing for him.

In fact, my enjoyment of the English language never wanes and I'm devouring any books I can get my hands on as though I've been starved; novels I'd never normally read such as Red Square, set in post cold war Russia, by Martin Cruz Smith, and Polar Star, which I found compelling reading. Then I wolfed down John Grisham's The Associate, a fascinating thriller set in the world of American Corporate Law.

Last night I started The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, which kept me awake till midnight and now I'm about to read the last half! So Goodnight for now and sweet dreams.

1 comment:

Catherine Woods said...

Hi Pat --

I also truly enjoyed reading The Lovely Bones several years ago. And I'm looking forward to seeing the newly released movie of the same name, taken from the book. It's directed by Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings movie fame.

Here in Colorado, it's frigid cold outside -- perfect weather for reading a book curled up in bed. I'm enjoying Malidoma Patrice Some's Of Water and the Spirit: Ritual, Magic, and Initiation in the Life of an African Shaman. Some has had quite an impact on the "men's movement" in the USA, championed by poet Robert Bly and writer Sam Keen among others. And still, this book is relevant for anyone seeking to learn from the wisdom traditions of indigenous peoples the world over.

Wishing you a quick return to robust good health and productive interactions with all you contact!

With blessings,
Catherine