Saturday 25 July 2009

Regeneration

A couple or more years ago, my old friend Gotami brought me a small African violet plant when she came to visit. It bloomed nicely on my windowsill for a while but eventually, due to my many absences, began to look past it's best. Last year I thought of binning it, but as it still showed evidence of life in tiny green shoots among the dried old leaves I decided to re-pot in fresh compost instead. A year later, (thanks to my daughter Annie for regularly watering all the plants while I was away), this is it; lush green leaves with the most beautiful velvet flowers.

The other change I made recently was to take it off the windowsill in my front room, which I only use when I have visitors, and bring it into my den, where it resides among my most inspirational books, CD's and DVD's, along with me on my laptop. None of us bloom if we're not fed and watered with regular human contact and I count myself well blessed with my family who I see very regularly.

Annie and her family live not far away, so I see them a lot, while Julie sometimes comes to stay the night, which usually involves a bottle of wine! Mark often takes me to the Cinema when he's here and last week we saw the new Sacha Baron Cohen's film 'Bruno', which was even more disgusting than 'Borat' and great fun! We also saw the new Harry Potter film, which fulfilled all expectations! I just love those films... and they're all British! I was so glad to accompany Mark to Leeds recently and catch up with his daughters, who I see rarely.

Today is Julie's Birthday and I hope to see her later. Rich should be on his way already; it's his and his twin brother's Birthday on Monday! Naturally I miss those who are not here; Damian (Happy Birthday to you) and his lovely family, who live in Australia, but was so glad to visit them earlier this year, a trip that I'd love to do again some time. I'm so grateful to be surrounded by so many of my children and grandchildren, not to mention Llawen, my gorgeous little great-g-daughter.

I do believe that the outer world reflects to us our own inner state and maybe my African Violet is reflecting the way I'm blooming; free of old stagnant attitudes and habitual restraints. Thank you Gotami for this reminder, not only of you and Gordon, but of the way we all need nurturing!

1 comment:

Catherine Woods said...

Lovely! Happy Birthday to Julie and Rich and Damian!