Tuesday 6 January 2009

Reflections


    








Relaxing here in comfort for the first time, I find myself reflecting back on the four months spent in Viet Nam and the many good people I met there. They may be out of sight but definitely not out of mind! All the staff and teachers at KTV, from Mr Thom, (sorry I didn't get to say goodbye in person), and his efficiently smart partner Ms Khan, Ms Ha in her lovely Ai Dao, to the teachers in particular that I worked with; the ever-busy Ms Yen, beautifully elegant Ms Lam, brightly intelligent Ms Gaio, lovely young Sophia (above in Orange T-shirt), quiet Ms Tien, beaming Mr Ha and the irrepressible Mr Duc, ever-smiling little Michael, who's really not little at all but it differentiates him from Louisiana Michael, my Big Buddy who I miss as much as I do Mark, my lovely big son.  I really enjoyed teaching at KTV and I miss you all already, including those not named!  (Top pic; me with the two Michaels.)  And how could I forget dear Judy who gave both me and Mark such help and support and so often brought tasty food for our lunch.  

Then there are all the students; in particular Lai and her friends Jasmine and Daisy, who along with others studying Tourism at their college took me along for a day trip to the Cat Tien National Park.  Keep practicing English and you'll all do very well.  Not to mention 'The Evil Ones' class... Lam, Joe, Justin, David, Andy and others are etched into my memory even if I don't recall all their names.  Mr Siu-Siu (a mature student) in one pic, who owns the best cake making company in Bien Hoa and provided the most elaborate cakes for Teachers Day as well as every other occasion.

















The family at 'the Ranch', Co Mai and Mr Phuong with their two sons Uy and Ti (who spray-paints graffiti in the night and does this free-running acrobatic stuff!) and young daughter Tina, together with Thim who works so hard and Duan who biked me to and from school for the month I lived there.  Thank you all so much for your generosity, especially lovely Thim who made me a beautiful pair of silk trousers, which will always remind me of her. I didn't get to see her before I left and I'm just sorry I couldn't have more time talking with her. 

There are so many more, including Mark's private students, Brad Pitt and Jojo (not their real names!) who presented me with two beautiful trouser suits, made by their aunt especially for me, just before I left! Thank you so much... they're wonderful! (I'm wearing one of them in this pic at lunch with Co Mai and Mr Phuong.) 

Another thank you to Mr Wing (Nguyen) and his team of Easy riders in Da Lat for a never to be forgotten trip through the highlands. Is there anyone I've forgotten?  I will always remember the beautiful people of Viet Nam and it was a wonderful experience teaching in Bien Hoa, in spite of the heat, which caused me to drip sweat constantly for three months and the mosquitoes; the scars on my legs testifying to their feasting night and day!  I hope some of you will keep in touch; an occasional email or comment made on my blog will always be welcome.
 
After the chaos of Cambodia, where I was relieved of my wallet (with only $10 in it) and, I just discovered, my cellphone, which I wasn't using, (how that happened I don't know; maybe while travelling by bus or even in a hotel), I move on now to discover the delights of the land of Oz, once we've recovered! Rich has really been in the wars since he arrived in the East and is still unwell! 

So I'll post a few memories of the last few months... 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh no.. this blog almost makes me feel like you're saying goodbye to us here in Vietnam. I don't want to be presented with this reality yet. Miss you...