Sunday 18 January 2009

We Live to Tell the Tale.






















We've been almost in the wild for the past four days on Kangaroo Island, south of Adelaide. Rich had read about this still unspoilt place that abounds with wildlife and we couldn't wait to experience kangaroos and wallabies bounding around the camp site and koalas festooning the trees, not to mention other quaint marsupials and reptiles. Well, its been interesting, although claiming that the island is teeming with wildlife might be a slight exaggeration. However, we did see kangaroos in the distance and one mother and bouncy joey crossed the road in front of our van when I didn't have the camera ready. We photographed an echidna; the Australian version of a hedgehog that was scrabbling about in the dirt looking for ants. Rich definately got a glimpse of a large lizard, the rare Heath Goanna, that immediately dissapeared, but he saw its tracks.

Apart from that, mosquitos feasted on us at one camp site, especially as I sat patiently waiting one morning for wildlife to appear at a a water hole and saw nothing but birds. There are plenty of birds; flocks of chattering red, orange and blue parrots and the strangely musical version of black and white 'magpies'. Then we did see a large 'sacred ibis' take off majestically on one occasion and when we visited a seal colony were overwhelmed by their pungent smell.

Late afternoon yesterday we took a designated trail, where we did see a massive spider's web stretched between two trees with its large intimidating owner sat in the centre, but my camera battery chose that moment to die, so there's nothing to show you. Later as I cooked dinner on our fourth campsite (we were the only occupants that night) Rich said "There's an eight foot kangaroo over here" but he was jesting, so as we were eating in the van and I said, looking through the window behind him, "Quick look, there's that eight foot kangaroo!" he didn't take me seriously. There was however, a large buck, at least as big as a small man, just a few yards from our van and as dusk fell we saw other dark shapes moving around. (But no pics.)

The wildlife has not just been about animals. We just had to find 'the best beach in Australia' according to one writer, which does look spectacular, (see pic.) I did see a sign about 'the rip' but launching myself into the surf in wild abandon, (there's something very seductive about the sea; a favourite story of my childhood was Hans Anderson's 'The Little Mermaid') I was soon shocked to realise how far out from the shore I'd got and my attempts to swim back were not getting me any nearer. With Richard's strength and tenacity, along with my totally irrational belief that I have another 30 years of life, he somehow dragged me back to shore, (almost losing my swimsuit in the process!) aided by a family with a surfboard.

They'd realised we were in trouble and had alerted the coastguard, so as we recovered our breath on the beach a policeman eventually arrived to check us out and then two ambulances (see pic) staffed by very cheerful volunteers who told us that the helicopter had been put on alert and if we'd been swept out to sea we'd have been picked up by a winch. Now that would have made an exciting blog! Later, reading 'Down Under,' Bill Bryson noted a local's comment; "Don't worry about sharks... its the rips'll get you!" Point taken... a mermaid I am not! My next swim was in a calm, safe lagoon and even then I wasn't getting out of my depth. I think I'll stick to swimming pools in future.

The next day we found 'Remarkable Rocks' where Rich proceded to frightened the tourists by doing what he always does. I'll swear my hair is turning whiter by the day!









1 comment:

Catherine Woods said...

So glad you got out of that one and lived to tell -- looking forward to photos when you attach them next!