Monday 5 January 2009

Three flights to Oz!


What a relief to be here in Perth with Damian and his lovely family!  He and Sandra picked us up early this morning after I managed to get myself transferred to Richard's flight so we could travel together, which meant we had little or no sleep at all for the past 24+ hours.  We're using Sandra's mother's 'granny annex' while she's away visiting, so I was very grateful to sink into a warm bath before taking a nap. 

        



Even though I spent many hours in airports yesterday, first waiting 4 hours for my flight from Phnom Penh after Rich left, then 5 hours at Saigon waiting for the connection to Singapore and finally about 4 hours at Singapore with Rich, I was consumed by this book; 'First they killed my Father' by one survivor of the Khmer Rouge regime. Another example of 'man's inhumanity to man' to add to so many other atrocities and ethnic cleansing that makes me wonder about the future of humankind, except for the tenacity of the human spirit that can rise and survive.  Rich here with kids who live right next to the Killing Fields site and above a view of the local countryside. 


So now we're chilling out with the family in the cool of their lovely house on the outskirts of Perth while outside the temperature mounts to 35' and Richard sleeps. We've been made very welcome by  everyone and look forward to a great week here. 

 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so happy that you arrived safely. I miss you tons but am reading your blog every day (or at least every day that you write).

Durnford Family said...

Welcome to oz, it's good to have you have you here.

Gadget said...

Hello Pat

I've oly just caught up with your blogs since before Christmas.

I really do think you should write your own book, your blogs are funny and informative and really seem to give an insight into what living in Vietnam - and travelling - is all about.

The photos are wonderful and I'm even beginning to recognise people apart from you and Mark!

You look so well in the pictures and it's obvious from your blogs that you've had the most fantastic 'journey'.

I wonder if you will find it difficult to settle once you are back in the UK?

We watched 'Top Gear in Vietnam' recently and as they travelled up the coast road we thought of your travels with Mr Wing and would love to go there ourselves - it's so beautiful.

It must be wonderful to be able to spend some time with Richard and Damien and his family. I had all mine around me just after Christmas, including my grandson, and I'm due to visit him again later in the month and do some 'night shifts' to give my daughter an opportunity for a couple of nights real sleep.

I think this must be the coldest British winter for years, so you're definitely on he right side of the World!

Very best wishes

Shirley