Friday 21 November 2008

At last in Da Lat





A couple of pics en route.

I think I've landed in heaven!
The journey here by bus was long, over 6 hours, but very comfortable and I even dozed off. Thanks to Judy, who booked with a reputable bus company that doesn't crowd their passengers in like sardines! As we climbed into the hills, the temperature cooled off even without rain, and since arriving I haven't even broken out into a sweat. The temperature is just perfect, even though the natives are dressed for winter! Well, we are a mile high !

We'd booked into the Dreams Hotel, (with the white balcony) simply because I'd read rave reviews about it on the web. It didn't look much from the outside, but once inside we realised how lucky we are as we got the last rooms available. This is not an expensive hotel; more of a travellers hostel, but the best hostel I ever stayed in. The rooms, though small, are beautifully clean with very modern ensuite shower and loo etc.



As soon as we'd checked in, we went out to eat at a restaurant opposite that claims to be recommended in the Lonely Planet. It wasn't cheap but the food was good and we'll find cheaper eating tomorrow. A short walk into town gave us our bearings but we were tired and came back for a siesta. (I don't know what they call it here!) Later, we found the sauna, where we chatted to a couple from Denmark and relaxed in the jacuzzi at the top of the building, overlooking the town.



We decided to go for an evening stroll but as we came downstairs we found ourselves invited to celebrate the proprietor's birthday! In the large kitchen-dining room downstairs a dozen or more people were sitting round tables laden with food and we were soon making the most of it, toasting our hostess Mme Dung with wine and later on, whiskey! Among the travellers staying here are a a couple from Austria, more people from Holland, a young couple from South Wales and a woman from Southport, of all places, with her partner from London.




We also learned that breakfast is included in the price and includes everything a westerner could desire! So that will save on eating out. After Birthday cake we finally got out and found our way to the market and Da Lat's famous lake. Its a very attractive town and the air is fresh and clean. I was seduced into buying a set of Scenic postcards for nearly as much as I'd pay at home, but the seller was such a nice lady I couldn't refuse. I may even send them off to you all.

We're very tired but I just discovered these internet computers, which are free, so when I've posted this I'll be off to bed. So it's Goodnight from me and Mark, not to mention Judy, who's never been anywhere before!

2 comments:

Diane Holliday said...

Who was the lady from Southport..anyone we know?

Patsy said...

No, she left the Grammar school in 1978 !!