Tuesday 25 November 2008

More Plans and a Strange Tale

Wednesday 26th November 2008
Less than one month to Xmas!

In two weeks time a new teacher will arrive from the UK to replace me when I leave. He's one of Mark's trainees so there will be no problem with me taking time off to travel for a week or so. In fact, I could probably spend the remainder of my stay here travelling in the cooler highlands and exploring the north of the country. There's a splendid idea. I must get a list of backpacker hostels; its great to share experiences and ideas with other travellers.

While on the subject of backpacking, I must tell you about a tale I heard from a couple at Dreams Hotel last weekend. Not a crazy young couple who might have been under the influence, you understand! Apparently, this respectable middle aged English couple had travelled from Laos to Vietnam by bus, which stopped just before the border crossing for the driver and associates to store some boxes under the floor of the bus! This couple thought it strange but were not unduly worried at that point, until the bus was stopped by border guards.

The passengers had to disembark while the bus was searched and it turned out that not only were the boxes crammed full of snakes, but also... wait for it... the ventilation system was also full of them!!! The couple, who's names I forget, but it could have been Sue and Colin from Solihull, (apologies if I'm wrong) had noticed 'water' dripping from the vents as they travelled. The illegal trade is all for Chinese medicine apparently.

Talk about 'Snakes on a Plane', which I thought was a pretty ridiculous idea for a movie... but maybe not!

No comments: