Sunday 9 November 2008

Sunday



Sunday 9th November 2008

One of Mark’s top level classes finished last night. Although there were only five left out of the original class, as students left to go to university or had progressed enough, they are a very dedicated group. So much so, that at the end of every class they never seemed to want to leave but would hang around for another half an hour or so. And not only that, they all talk to each other in English! That’s wonderful!

This morning I was teaching two half classes of young children from 7.45 to 9.30. This means that for 45 minutes I’m with a Vietnamese teacher in one class teaching 6 to 7 year olds phrases to do with food, then after break with another class, learning about the traditions of other countries. Except that they seemed to have no idea what the English words mean and at that age, the pictures in their books convey little when they have no experience of ‘Carnival’ or ‘Parade’. So there I am, miming putting on masks and costumes and dancing to the music of trumpets and drums. (They must think I'm mad!) They do however know about Christmas as most of these children come from catholic families and they also celebrate Chinese New Year, when children are given money in special red envelopes.

When I’d finished, I went into the library to hear a talk by a visiting speaker. All I knew was that Mr Thom had invited an American who writes about food. Because he’d started at 9.00 I came in halfway, but he had a good audience of about thirty or so, including higher level students and some teachers. I discovered that Richard Stirling is a journalist, (he writes for the Lonely Planet) who combines a passionate interest in all aspects of cuisine with his many and varied travel experiences. Two months ago he moved to Saigon since he visits here so frequently, having first come to VN at the very end of the war.

However, his talk was really about the art of writing and was most interesting. When he’d finished, there were many insightful questions from both students and teachers. Later, Mark and I joined him, Mr Thom and Marcus (from London) at a very nice restaurant not far from where we live, where the food was really good (and expensive I think, but we weren’t paying). Apart from the beer, which we usually drink at restaurants with loads of ice, Marcus brought out a large bottle of Beefeater Gin and tins of Tonic. Suffice to say that by the time we left, the bottle was empty! Only Mark refused a second generous helping and I’m glad he did as he was driving. I can only say that a good time was had by all and when we came home I was glad to retire for a long afternoon nap!

No comments: