Saturday 29 November 2008

New Plans Afoot

I'm getting so excited! Finally got an email from my son Rich about finalising our plans for Australia and New Zealand. It's so difficult to pin him down as he's here, there and everywhere... literally!

Because he can't stretch his Oz trip to accompany me round NZ, he's actually booked a flight for his sister to join me there. So I managed to change my flight from Sydney to Christchurch for 10 days later so that Julie and I will arrive on the same day. That means I'll have more time to explore with Rich and spend my Birthday with him, which I did in Munich in 1986.

I've made a few tentative suggestions about crossing Australia by the Indian Pacific Railway and then taking the OzExperience Bus tour (recommended by a couple we met in DaLat) from Adelaide to Sidney round the coast. I'm not so keen to be there in the middle of their summer but the Southeastern area has a better climate, so I've been told! It's a part of Australia Rich is very keen to explore and I suspect there are rock climbs beckoning.

Anyway, there are some good travel deals around and I just hope the money will stretch out. But what the hell, I've been broke most of my life, so why change the habit of a lifetime? I trust that my needs will be met and they usually are. Backpacking at my age is such an adventure! I could get addicted.

I've never really been happy with a package holiday, in a hotel that isn't quite what you imagined, trudging down to a beach and wondering how to make the best of each day. I'm far happier living and working somewhere and when I travel I do like to keep moving!

I just noticed a couple of comments from Catherine on 2 previous entries. Apparently her daughter has moved to Australia from the US but unfortunately she's unable to visit her there because of health problems. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog Catherine... always glad to hear from you.

I feel as though my adventures are only just beginning. Whehey!!!

No comments: