Thursday 7 May 2009

2nd Day in the Life of...

This is Rusty, Jane's little dog, who I feed, take out for walks round the garden 
and occasionally clean up after. That's when Jane is asleep or feeling Ok. He's very sweet and affectionate, although he has a habit of peeing in the hall at night, which is not nice. At the moment he won't leave me alone, so I must give him a run. Back in a mo.  


Then there are the Doves, which live in a dovecote in the garden. 
Last time I was here they 
were recovering from a massacre by a Sparrowhawk that got into the dovecote and killed several birds. The carer who was here at the time spotted it and managed to trap it in one section of the dovecote, while the RSPB was called to take it into custody. 

Thankfully there's been no incident since, though the bird was released after a few hours as it no doubt has it's own chicks to feed. When I fed  the birds at dusk I counted 15; more than enough! Another of my jobs is to let them out again in the morning to fly free. 

As a personal carer my duties include cooking meals and doing all the things a housewife usually does. It's quite a responsibility to remember to give her medication on time and check regularly that she's comfortable and hasn't fallen out of her chair or died! Thankfully I'm not expected to sit with Jane every hour of the day and she does sleep a lot, so I have a fair amount of time to get online on the kitchen table. 

I'm so happy to be online this time. When I did this job previously I was  suffering serious withdrawal symptoms by the time I left!  Now I'm equipped with this mobile Broadband dongle on the 3 network, which is working surprisingly well, considering that I was told there's no signal here! 


1 comment:

Catherine Woods said...

Yes, housewifery (funny word, isn't that!), dog-sitting, and remembering to dispense the meds -- all day, every day, rain or shine . . .

How great you've got that Broadband dongle -- it seems it has made a positive difference, as in many ways, care work doesn't quite engage all cylinders. ;-)

Still, it's paid work . . .