Friday 15 May 2009

Changing World

I was brought up in a Britain that was 'Great' and everyone supposedly knew their place in society. I suppose there were always non-comformists; from writers and intelectuals to tramps on the road, but there wasn't much choice for the rest who expected to get a job after finishing school, work nine to five (or even eight to six!) for five or six days a week with a week or two annual holiday, get married and have kids! 

How things have changed! It was my generation, growing up during and after the War, that started the revolution but I wonder why I had such different ambitions to my school friends. My best friend went to college to become a Teacher. Others disappeared into offices or shops. I seemed to be the only one who longed to travel; to be a writer and photographer, inspired by the wonderful Picture Post magazine that found its way into our home. I studied photography at 'night school', went South to London by bus to work in a fashion photographer's darkroom for a few months, then at 19 travelled by train and ferry to the beautiful Channel Island of Guernsey for summer work as a beach photographer. That was the beginning and end of my travels for a long time because there I met the love of my life, (or so I thought), fell into the marriage mould and started producing babies, simply because that's what girls did!  

My travel aspirations were on hold for a long time, but that desire still smouldered in the depths of my soul. At that time I wasn't adventurous enough; when my marrtiage ended, fears of insecurity held me back from being a hippy and travelling the world with my children. I was just too respectable! 

What brought that on, I wonder. It must be a result of the comment that Catherine posted on the last blog with a quote from a woman author about travel and how it affected her.  It's said that travel broadens the mind, but even more than that, it gives a different perspective, not only of the world but of oneself. 

When I hear the amazing things that other women have accomplished in the last few years, I realise what I've been missing. Maybe it's not too late to fulfill my original ambitions. I've always enjoyed writing as well as taking photographs, so if I can do it well enough... who knows! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh how I admire you for your traveling woman ways! It's not too late, and I think you are just so brave for taking off by yourself and traveling around. I'm not that secure. I look up to you in that aspect!