Wednesday 27 May 2009

REALITY CHECK!

On Monday I drove home the 170 miles from Gloucester, which took most of the day on cross-country roads rather than motorways, equipped with a flask of coffee and cheese and ryvita for a snack as I was in no hurry to end my holiday. Stopped at a farm shop to get some fruit and veg, then called at Annie's for a chat and a cuppa before arriving home at 5pm. I unloaded the car, which meant taking several trips up and down three flights of stairs to bring in my many bags, picked up the post that had mounted up after almost three weeks away, made a meal and put the tele on. 

It was great to be home again as I began to relax, so I was shocked to get a phone call at 7pm asking why I wasn't at my job! How this happened I have no idea, but the agency had booked me to care for a lady who I've been going to for at least 4 years. The previous carer had already gone and Janet, who comes in for the day when carers change, was waiting for me to relieve her. Luckily I hadn't bought a bottle of wine to relax with! The job is only 40 miles away, so I threw my bags back into the car and was there by 8pm. So as I'm here, I'll do the week, although that isn't what I'd planned! 

So my plan to relax in a hot bath with scented oils and candles before enjoying an uninterrupted night's sleep will have to wait till next Monday when I'll be home again. At this job I can be called at any time of the day and night as I'm on duty 24/7. 

Before you ask... No, I didn't forget and don't think I'm getting senile just yet!

Luckily I'm able to get online with my 'dongle'. That's all I have time for right now and will recount yesterdays happenings in the next post! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

okay so.. how come you didn't know you had to work? You have a much better work ethic than I do because I would have just not answered the phone - lol

Patsy said...

you know me well big buddy!